Photos from most recent SBCC GBV Prevention Campaign for IRC South Sudan:
RESPECT & RESPOND
CV LISTED FURTHER BELOW
About New View Media
Where Media Meets Mission
New View Media specializes in health communications and marketing, including content strategy, public relations, branding, edutainment media, and social and behavior change campaign development and implementation. Our multi-platform campaigns inspire new ideas, induce action, and create measurable positive change.
Our clients include non-profit, government, and international development firms seeking to reach diverse global audiences.
The New View Media mission is to help organizations make a positive impact on the world via social and behavior change communications that inspire and ignite positive change.
– See more at: http://www.newviewmedia.org/
VIRGINIA A. WILLIAMS
Program Manager, SBCC, Communications and Social Impact
70 Terra Vista Ave. #10, San Francisco, CA 94115 USA | +1 415-787-2129 | email@example.com
Strengths and Accomplishments
New View Media Nov 2013 – October 2014
Course Developer and Facilitator
- Created Change 101, a branded capacity-building workshop on Social Behavior Change Communications (SBCC) in two and five day workshops, off and online versions. Curriculum includes 10-Steps to creating an effective social marketing campaign from formative research through implementation and evaluation.
- Facilitated Change 101 workshop to NGO trainers, practitioners and programmers, in live and online settings, in both English and French. Workshop received a 95% approval rating from a total of over 65 participants from Africa, Central Asia, and Asia and South America. Clients include: Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), Terre des Hommes, CARE, Equal Access International, and the International Rescue Committee.
- Created and facilitated 6-week online course on Social Behavior Change Communications for Vital Voices Global Partnership VVLead Fellowship Program for global women leaders. Administered to over 200 women change-makers from a wide range of international development sectors.
International Rescue Committee, South Sudan June 2014 – Dec 2014
Campaign Manager and Developer
- Conducted a review of communications best practices and existing social norms and behaviors related to gender-based violence (GBV) in South Sudan.
- Led participatory workshop for IRC and partners on Social and Behavior Change strategies.
- Developed implementation and M&E framework for “Respect and Respond” campaign launched Dec 2014 in 4 states in South Sudan.
- Secured partnerships with Zain Telecom, Eye Radio, ministries and national talent for campaign.
- Advised on launch, implementation, M&E, and creative.
Communications and Knowledge Management Strategist
- Researched and developed a 5-year communications plan and knowledge management strategy for the Government of South Sudan’s Local Governance and Service Delivery Program, a US $95.5 M project funded by the World Bank and partners.
- Interviewed and collaborated with a variety of stakeholders and citizen groups in formulating strategies to communicate with those groups on resource allocation, grievances/redress, and procurement outcomes within a framework of transparency and accountability.
- Carried out fieldwork in remote areas to assess availability and access of information for both internal and external audiences.
International Rescue Committee, Russian Federation March 2013 – May 2013
Social and Behavior Change Consultant /Trainer
- Conducted a review of communications best practices and existing social norms and behaviors related to gender-based violence (GBV) in Russia’s Northern Caucasus region.
- Designed and led a participatory 5-day workshop for 25 regional organization heads and programmers on Social and Behavior Change (SBC) strategies, leading the group to collaborate for the first time on a unified SBC strategy and implementation plan.
Gender at Work, Toronto, Canada Jan 2013 – May 2013 Communication and Advocacy Strategist
- Developed and wrote 3-year communication strategy for Gender at Work—a global learning collaborative focused on gender equality advocacy, institutional and policy change.
- Led website redesign and redevelopment.
- Established social media presence and led strategy for growth.
- Initiated pilot for webinar series and social media contest soliciting user-generated content.
Center for Interfaith Action on Global Poverty, Washington, DC July 2012 – Oct 2012
Health Education/Behavior Change Strategist
- Developed tools and edited curricula for CIFA “Faith Effect,” faith leader participatory learning workshops (Muslim, Protestant, and Catholic versions) on HIV, early marriage, and FGM prevention for use in Sub-Saharan Africa (pilot programs in Ethiopia and Nigeria).
- Provided guidance on design and production of facilitator manual, logo, and illustrations/animations for participant tools to accommodate culture, religion, and literacy levels.
- Funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Nike Foundation
Women’s Refugee Commission, New York, NY April 2012 – Oct 2012
- Developed and implemented “Peril or Protection: Make Work Safe” social media campaign to promote the WRC’s online resources and e-learning tools on safe livelihoods as a means of gender-based violence prevention.
- Created in-depth personal stories of practitioners and recipients who have benefited from the WRC’s resources and training via the “Your Stories” feature.
- Organized a webinar co-sponsored by Devex and UNICEF on the topic that was virtually attended by over 75 country directors, funding managers, development programmers and practitioners.
- Launched the “Envisioning Safe Livelihoods” photo contest, that resulted in over 75 entries and voting by over 500 professionals via social media.
- Expanded the WRC’s presence within Linkedin groups, Facebook pages, Twitter, and other social media sites to foster and cultivate conversation and solutions on livelihood topics.
- Liaised with media editors and bloggers to create articles in online and print publications, such as Monday Developments (Interaction) and Forced Migration Review.
International Rescue Committee, Côte d’Ivoire Sept 2010 – December 2012
Social Marketing and Behavior Change Advisor
- Trained, monitored, and supported IRC Côte d’Ivoire staff on the design and implementation of social marketing campaign to end violence against women and girls in Côte d’Ivoire.
- Led a participatory workshop in French for regional IRC staff on the basics of social marketing, developing a campaign, and evaluating efficacy. Includes: Social Marketing 101, Social Norms Primer, and a 10-step Plan for creating a social marketing campaign.
- Analyzed secondary research on frequency and type of gender-based violence (GBV) in CI, as well as latest social norms research regarding efficacy in combating GBV; integrated research into campaign messaging, audience segmentation, and delivery.
- Researched and wrote technical guides on GBV and campaign for media, civil servants, health workers, and teachers.
- Created and oversaw production of mass media (television, radio dramas and spots, print, and mobile) and dissemination and grassroots (live sketches and men’s discussion groups) methods of communication.
- Managed design and implementation of program evaluation, including pre-campaign, mid-term, and final evaluations, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Led content development and production of online exhibition on Motherhood and Maternal Health, including the intellectual, conceptual, and thematic framework of the project as well as the multimedia design, user experience, and writing and editing of content.
- Identified and collaborated with subject matter experts, funders, partners, and content advisors and engaged IMOW’s internal team, advisory board, and content committees.
- Developed creative storylines, sub-themes, and leading questions for online multimedia content aimed at increasing audience understanding of issues.
- Utilized web marketing and promotion strategies including social media design and development, user engagement, and action campaign hosted by Christy Turlington Burns.
- Developed project schedules and expense projections and managed day-to-day timelines, deliverables, and budgets.
- MAMA successfully experimented with new models for converting art into advocacy and action, presenting 15,800 voices for maternal health to the United Nations, and creating a sequence of physical, high profile art and activism installations in 11 countries around the world.
New View Films and Media (Owner) 1998 – 2012
Emmy™ Award-winning Television and Multiplatform Producer View Samples
As television, media and public affairs executive for over 10 years, managed multi-cultural/sectoral teams to produce international broadcast and multiplatform media for a variety of clients.
Credits include (with active links):
- Story Producer/Writer: Mexico: One Plate at a Time. Outlined, researched, and wrote 13 episodes on sustainable Baja cuisine for Top Chef Rick Bayless’s 8th season on PBS, 2012. Sample show
- Executive Producer/Director/Writer: Independent feature documentary FRONTRUNNER, profiling an Afghan woman’s courageous run for president. Festival & broadcast release, 2008. frontrunnermovie.com
- Director/Producer/Co-Writer of Quiet Revolution, an Internet advocacy video produced for the Alliance for Justice targeting law students and young civil liberty activists. Hosted by Bradley Whitford, featuring interview conducted by Virginia with then-Senator Barack Obama. 2007 *Cine Golden Eagle Award.
- Production Manager of Mary Quits, a national Internet advertising campaign designed to encourage smokers to enter cessation programs produced for GS&M/Legacy Foundation.
- Designer of Be a Frontrunner! social media prototype, a virtual world where tween girls create media for their favorite cause while learning valuable leadership skills. Fellow, BAVC Institute for New Media Tech.
- Producer/Director/Writer of online mini-doc Women and Smoking: The Seven Deadly Myths, hosted by Christy Turlington for the CDC Office of Smoking and Health, AED.
- Producer/Writer/Director of award-winning national PSA spots for organizations such as: Peace Corps, The Alliance to End Homelessness (*Emmy™ Award) & Coalition to End Handgun Violence.
- Series Producer/Director/Writer: The National Geographic Action Asia Challenge.
- Producer/Director/Writer: Secrets of the Deep: The Sunken City of Dwarka *Best Doc/TV Asia Awards, 2002.
- Producer/Director/Writer: One-Hour Special: Jack the Ripper: An On-Going Mystery *2000 Telly Award, ITVA Best Director Award. Discovery Channel, 2002.
- Producer/Director/Writer: 4-Hour Documentary Special Discovery Eco-Challenge Morocco * 1999 Emmy™ Award; 2000 BANFF Rockie Award, Sports Programming.
- Staff Producer and Show Writer: Emmy™ Award-winning teen news magazine: Not Just News & Crime News Program America’s Most Wanted.
- Certificate of Excellence; Effective Project Management for Development, PM4D. 2014
- MA Communications/PR; American University, Washington, DC
- BA Journalism/Visual Communications; University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- ESL Instructor Certification
- Software: MS Office, social media, media trends and research software, Photoshop, InDesign
- Published Case Study: “Break the Silence” campaign, Côte d’Ivoire, 2012 – Social Marketing: Influencing Behaviors for Good 5th Edition, Nancy R. Lee and Philip Kotler
- US Peace Corps Volunteer, L’Ecole Nationale d’Agriculture, Morocco
- Languages: Native: English. Fluent: French; Proficient: Spanish, Moroccan Arabic
- Member: International Social Marketing Association, Friends of UNFPA, AWID, Peace Corps Association